New Commission: The Eternal City


Rome.  I have not had the chance to see it with my own eyes yet, but all roads do seem to lead me to it.  The fateful day that I walked into Dr. Gerberding's Latin class in 2006 cemented my fascination with the Eternal City.  Since then, many a friend has ventured to Rome and come back with a grand story to tell.  A new outlook on life.  A greater desire to follow that ever sound piece of Latin advice: Carpe diem.  When my friend and former Latin classmate Jerry Gilley asked that I transform one of his favorite travel photos into a large abstract painting, I wanted to dive into the project immediately.  It almost felt like a collaboration, given that I have great admiration for Gilley's photography.  His photo of St. Peter's [below] is ominous and dark, with strong geometry.  My own abstract style is already rather geometric, so I focused on angles and structure in the composition for Roma [above].  


While I originally considered following the picture more closely, the warm reds and browns in Gilley's office and livingroom inspired something a bit softer and brighter.  I accentuated the size and curves of the lamp for contrast and avoided harsh outlines to suggest the more romantic appeal of classical Italian style.  Interestingly enough, however, I took a few of my other stylistic cues from the clean, modern architectural paintings of Feininger.  Gilley-- I hope that you will enjoy this piece for years to come.  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to turn many years of admiration for all things Roman, many nights listening to our classmates' wonderful memories, into a piece of art for your home.

2 comments

Unknown said...

I love it and I can't wait for it to dry and get it into my house!

Jamie said...

Gorgeous work! Sorry to sound so cliche, but you never fail to amaze me.