Late Summer Sketching




Blueprints are as useful in art as they are in architecture; I usually consider a thoughtful preliminary drawing to be the backbone of a successful painting.  I like to practice drawing for its own sake whenever I can, but sometimes I would rather be practicing in a group/public setting than alone in my studio, both for the good company and the variety.  That having been said, I finally made it over to the Monday morning figure drawing session at the Huntsville Art League and look forward to returning regularly.  Our model on the 13th had such subtle features that getting a good likeness in a short period of time was challenging.  I am not sure that I ever quite captured the spark that made her features entirely her own, but I do like the two final drawings I did quite a bit regardless [above].  As summer begins to hint at fall and the school year begins again, I start to make new goals, pick up my sketchbook and vow anew to squeeze as much art and beauty into my life as is humanly possible.


With that inspiration in mind, I made sure to take a few brief minutes yesterday between appointments and other activities to sketch my mother [above] under the shifting shade of old trees in Big Spring Park. . .

1 comment

gmaya said...

Top one & bottom one...
Likes